It has been a beautiful fall out here in the desert… no snow, but lots of sun and crisp, cool mornings for sure. With the fall comes holidays and I am so thankful to be able to experience some exciting holiday traditions Southwestern style!
Last weekend, for example, Chris and I went to the Phoenix Zoo for Zoo Lights which was a fun-filled night of Christmas lights and music… I even rode a camel! It was cool to see so many little kids and families enjoying the evening together. I will definitely go back again next year!
We also finished all of our Thanksgiving shopping and set the Turkey out to thaw. Tomorrow is our first time hosting Thanksgiving together! I’m a little nervous because I’m a perfectionist, of course, but luckily it’s just Chris’s parents joining us and they’re laid back and sweet 🙂 I think everyone will have an awesome time (and hopefully I won’t set the apartment on fire!!!) I’m loving the feel of our little home… it’s cozy and smells good, like pumpkin and cookies. Can’t wait for the parade, turkey, trimmings and wine tomorrow!
I was thinking the other day about how different life feels now out here in the Southwest. Chris would probably say that I still have my “crazy girl” moments, but I think on the whole, things are a LOT better now than they were before. Adjusting to change is always hard (especially for me) but I guess the more you do it, the easier it gets. So in the spirit of counting my blessings, here are a few things I am extremely thankful for:
1) My job which allows me to feel a connection with the people and issues in this world that I care so much about.
2) Having a cozy apartment that really feels like “ours.” I no longer refer to where I live as “Chris’s house” but rather “our place.”
3) My wonderful family and friends whose love I can feel whenever I read an email, pick up the phone or Skype.
4) The holiday season… a reminder of the generosity, compassion and love of humankind.
5) Health and happiness… the ability and determination to exercise and eat right.
6) Chris… for loving me at my best and worst. I am so lucky to have found a boyfriend and best friend all rolled into one 🙂
Happy holidays to you and yours!